A Mr P. C. Y. Smith, who had taught at the National School in Albert Street from 1906 – 1916, had ambitious plans for private education in the town.
He took over Olive House School in Grove Road and called it Ventnor Collegiate. This then amalgamated with Ventnor College in Salisbury Gardens. Mr Smith gave up the school in 1931 and started an hotel there.
There was another Ventnor College in Ocean View Road which was still in existence in 1941 and it had approximately 100 pupils; the Headteacher was Mr Charles Green.