The Town Band is thought to have been formed in 1863 by George and William Pearson and Albion Wheeler; at various periods there were other local bands. After the Second World War there were efforts to re-form the band but these were unsuccessful.
The bandleader in pre-war days was Jacob Hess and his son, Leonard Hess, was a first rate cornet player. Jacob’s brother, Arthur, played the string bass and was a real character with a flowing beard. Other players included Fred Richards, Jack Howell (cornet), Arthur Bennett, Frank Bailey, Burt Adams (clarinet), Bart Brown, Ern Howell (trombone), Dodger Ward (piccolo), Dutch Lale (side drum) and Harold Barons (?) (Bass drum/ tubular bells).
There were regular concerts on Sundays in Ventnor Park and the Pier Pavilion and the band headed the carnival procession for many years.
Other town bands included the Band of Volunteer Rifle Corps and in 1918, the Band of C. Company IOW Volunteers Regiment.