The Globe Inn

The Globe Inn stood at 63-67  Ventnor High Street, on part of the site that is now the Central Car Park.  It dated from at least the 1840s, and there is mention of Chartists meeting in a large room at the hotel at about that time.

The Globe was badly damaged in a ‘hit and run’ bombing raid in 1942, which destroyed the ‘International Stores’ next door.  It was demolished in 1943, and ten years later, in 1953, the licence was transferred to a new public house,  ‘The Queen’s’ in Upper Ventnor.

Sidebar