Ventnor Heritage Centre

"To make the past present, to bring the distant near . . . to call up our ancestors before us with all their peculiarities of language, manners, and garb, to show us over their houses, to seat us at their tables, to rummage their old-fashioned ward-robes, to explain the uses of their ponderous furniture . . . " Thomas Babington Macaulay describing what the study of history can do (written in 1828)

Gallery |

Gallery

  • Bertram and George Gosden on Ventnor Beach, 1916.

  • A "Bicycle Gymkhana" held in Ventnor Park in September 1905.

  • Farmer's wife and boy with chickens at Yard Farm Godshill in 1925

  • Yard Farm Godshill in 1925

  • Old Park, St Lawrence, with carriage at door, about 1880

  • Luggage being unloaded outside the Royal Marine Hotel.

  • The Old Rectory Godshill, now the site of the Model Village.

  • The Bijou cinema in Ventnor High Street, about 1920.

  • Steephill Castle Stables. The clock tower can still be seen near Ventnor Park.

  • The Balmoral Hotel used to stand on Bath Road, overlooking what is now the Spyglass Inn.

  • A group of Burts brewery workers in the 1880s.

  • Ventnor Railway Station in 1866

  • The 'Pacific Glory' tanker burning off Ventnor in 1970

  • Ventnor Esplanade, about 1880

  • Tom Wheeler in Wheeler's Bay

  • Ventnor High Street in the early 1900s, close to the junction with Spring Hill.

  • George and Sarah Field and their children in about 1864; they had a drapery shop at No 1 Spring Hill.


From our archives

Ventnor College

A Mr P. C. Y. Smith, who had taught at the National School in Albert Street from 1906 - 1916, had ambitious plans for private education in the town. He took over Olive House School in …Read more...

Sidebar