Ventnor Heritage Centre

"To make the past present, to bring the distant near . . . to call up our ancestors before us with all their peculiarities of language, manners, and garb, to show us over their houses, to seat us at their tables, to rummage their old-fashioned ward-robes, to explain the uses of their ponderous furniture . . . " Thomas Babington Macaulay describing what the study of history can do (written in 1828)

Contact Ventnor Heritage Centre |

Contact Ventnor Heritage Centre

Please get in touch if you have any questions  ring us (01983 855407), drop in to the Heritage Centre, send us an email (ventnorheritage@btconnect.com) or use the form below

 


From our archives

Ventnor College

A Mr P. C. Y. Smith, who had taught at the National School in Albert Street from 1906 - 1916, had ambitious plans for private education in the town. He took over Olive House School in Grove Road and called it Ventnor Collegiate.  This then amalgamated with Ventnor College in Salisbury Gardens.  Mr Smith gave up the school in 1931 and started an hotel there. There was another Ventnor College in Ocean View Road which was still in existence in 1941 and it had approximately 100 pupils; the Headteacher was Mr Charles Green.Read more...

Sidebar